2008년 8월 4일 월요일

Hong Kong Day 1

I haven't stayed for half day yet here in Hong Kong and the bloopers (and they're not just mine!) have been overflowing. These are the type of stories would love to hear so I'm sharing these first hand no matter how shameful, I believe there are lessons to be learned.

1. Memento - Remember thy code

Upon reaching the world's best airport, I had to open my (it is actually Lena's) luggage to see the hotel map printout and get my money. Turns out I did not take note of the security code so I had to go through all the hassle of having Lena's new luggage's locks destroyed. Now I have to get her a new padlock. Is it any coincidence that the film I watched in the plane over Nim's Island is Memento? This is the film about short term memory that made me a fan of the The Dark Knight's director Chris Nolan. Btw, Cathay's Pacific entertainment in the plane and the food are so awesome I almost wasn't able to sleep.

Going back to the lesson learned, we shall not forget to remember the code or simply use padlocks (don't lose the keys!)

2. No Nim Is An Island

I am writing this piece in my Korean friend's accomodations which is exclusive for Koreans. The manager from Seoul is of the same age and because of my Korean company and the bit of language skill that I have, we sort of have a connection he may allow me and my family to stay in his guest house. We are actually waiting for the two of our other Korean companions who got lost finding the guesthouse. Me and Danielle my Korean friend also got lost ourselves when we went back to the guesthouse to get her transpo card which she forgot to bring.

One lesson here: Keep essentials handy, in your wallet preferably.

The more important lesson would be: Do not separate in groups if you do not have phones or if you do not know each other's phone numbers.

Flashback Memento style.

After our expensive meryenda in The Peninsula Hotel, me and Danielle left her 2 Korean girl friends to get her transpo card. We just told them that we will meet somewhere (Another lesson: meeting time and place should always be specific). It is unfortunate that Danielle and I got lost (I did find my Hotel though) so when we came back to the area where we are supposed to meet, there are already lots of people as the Hong Kong Symphony of Sound & Lights is about to begin. Danielle and I separated to find them. Futile.

After the show, we againd tried to find them. Asked helped to page them, but there is no paging system for the open area. Went to the police and reported our lost travelmates. Tried again to look for them. I can feel my sore legs as I write this.

The guest house manager rang me and told us that our lost travelmates phoned him to inform that they are trying to find the way back. The street of Kowloon could be very tricky for first timers! So Danielle and I are now back here in the guest house. Me reporting our mishaps and she translating for the guest house manager. He is trying to understand his HK legal papers.

It is getting late. I pray that they find their way back so I can also go to my hotel and finally meet my family.

Tomorrow is said to be rainy, I hope there will be no more mishaps of this kind.

Major lesson learned: KEEP CONTACT INFO OF TRAVEL MATES HANDY.

댓글 없음: